Thursday, May 25, 2006

 

Mr. 69

I read in the paper yesterday about a guy who is 69 years old and is running the length of US Highway 69 this year. As of the article's writing, he had run 979 miles of the highway that runs from Port Arthur, TX to Albert Lea, MN. I saw the guy as I drove home after work between Slater highway and Huxley. He was riding a bike southbound. A little later I saw his VW vanagon parked at the side of the road. That answered a question I had about his logistics. The guy is doing this solo and runs in 6.9 mile increments. Apparently, he drives the van to a point 6.9 miles ahead, rides his bike to the starting point, locks up the bike, runs back to the van, then drives the van to pick up the bike again. Then he starts the whole process over again.

I had my digital camera with me in the car but I was running late so I couldn't get a photo of the guy. But here's one from the Des Moines Register, taken as he crossed I-235 downtown:



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?