Thursday, May 04, 2006

 

Roadkill

I saw a dead bird on the shoulder of the highway on the way to work this morning. It wasn't a wildbird. It was one of those bleached white birds you see on a farm, like a turkey or a chicken. I think this was a turkey as it was pretty huge to be a chicken. That got me thinking about how this bird came to his final resting place on the side of the road. It couldn't have escaped from a farm as there isn't a poultry farm for miles.

I suppose a likely scenario is he was on a truck on its way to the Butterball factory. Old Tom had a little jailbreak situation while the truck was barrelling down the highway at 70 mph. I imagine he enjoyed about 3 seconds of his freedom before he hit the pavement. His head probably made the sound of a flat tire, whap-whap-whapping the concrete as he rolled to a stop.

Poor, tasty bird.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?