Thursday, September 14, 2006

 

Circle of Life

I made my daily walk to the grocery across the street this morning. I have to cross a fairly busy 4-lane arterial street and a frontage road to get there. In between the street and frontage is a grassy median that was quite unkempt. The grass was so long that I didn't realize I stumbled through a rabbit nest until I heard the squeals of 3 baby rabbits scurrying away. Each of them ran as fast as they could across the frontage road to the opposite side but were so young and small that they couldn't make it up the 6-inch curb. It was quite pitiful to watch them struggling with the curb and for a split second I considered rounding them up and placing them back in their nest. Then I came to my senses. These aren't pets that will just nestle back to bed. They're going to freak out some more and run again. Plus, if I get my scent on them, the mother will throw them out. Then I looked around. It's a pretty exposed area and even if I hadn't scattered them, they would have been snatched by a hawk or otherwise done in by any number of things.

I continued on my journey to the grocery, got my snack and made my way back across the street where I saw that a city worker had just started mowing the median.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?